Property tax bills for 2017 are now in the mail and while no one likes paying taxes, we all benefit from the public services they provide. Your property taxes support services like police, fire protection, transit, parks, recreation, social services and more. You can see where your tax dollars go using the online tax breakdown tool. About 60 per cent of residential property taxes go to The City while the remaining 40 per cent goes to the Government of Alberta.
1. Property taxes are due June 30
Property taxes are due by June 30 to avoid penalties. Bills are mailed in May and cover the calendar year January 1 to December 31, 2017. If you don’t receive a bill by the first week of June you can request a copy of the bill. The City of Calgary offers a variety of property tax payment options to pay The City directly or through your bank. Credit cards cannot be used to pay property tax.
The Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP) allows you to pay your property tax on a monthly basis instead of making one payment in June. Your payment automatically comes out of your chequing account the first day of every month, making paying your property taxes easier.
2. Council provides rebates to taxpayers
Council reduced the 2017 property tax increase to 1.5 per cent (from 4.7 per cent) and will cover that increase with a one-time rebate. Additionally, the Province’s share of property tax was lower than The City expected. This created what is commonly called tax room in the amount $23.7 million. Council agreed to keep the tax room and to rebate the 2017 tax room as a one-time return to taxpayers. As a result, the owner of a residential property valued at $460,000 can expect to see rebates totaling $51 on the 2017 property tax bill.
The rebates will appear as a single credit on your 2017 property tax bill.
3. Changes in your property assessment could affect your tax bill
Your property taxes could still go up or down if there was a change in your assessment relative to the city-wide typical per cent change. What’s important is how your property value changes compared to the typical property.
If your property’s year-to-year change in assessment is:
- Less than the typical change, your property’s taxes will decrease.
- The same as the typical change, your property’s taxes will stay about the same.
- More than the typical change, your property’s taxes will increase.
Read more about how property assessment affects your property taxes.
4. Tax increase capped for eligible non-residential properties
The 2017 Municipal Non-Residential Phased Tax Program (PTP) is a one-year program that Council put in place to assist non-residential properties impacted by the redistributive effect of the 2017 assessment process. Under the PTP, eligible non-residential municipal tax increases will be limited to five per cent (not including the effects of business tax consolidation).
5. Business tax consolidation continues
The City is phasing out the business tax through a gradual transfer of the business tax revenues to the non-residential property tax. Each year, business tax bills will go down and non-residential property taxes will increase. The business tax will be eliminated in 2019.
This year non-residential property owners will see an estimated additional 4.6 per cent increase in their 2017 non-residential property tax rate. When the 2017 business tax bills were mailed in February business owners saw a more than 20 per cent reduction in the business tax rate. Visit calgary.ca/BTC for more information.
6. Programs for those experiencing financial hardship
Under The City’s Property Tax Assistance Program, residential property owners of any age may be eligible for a credit/grant of the increase on their property tax account. Visit calgary.ca/FairEntry for more information or call 311.
Seniors may be eligible for provincial support. Visit www.seniors-housing.alberta.ca or call 1-877-644-9992 for more information. Property owners in need of immediate assistance are encouraged to call 211 or visit www.ab.211.ca for information on all support options available.
Find out more about property taxes and assessment by visiting calgary.ca/ourfinances.